Studying in New Zealand

The Ministry of Education(external link) website contains information about the New Zealand education system(external link), and New Zealand’s Code of Practice(external link) for the care of international students.

The Think New (Study with NZ)(external link) website provides international students with information and resources including links to institutions and courses and scholarships and a guide to living and studying in New Zealand.

Student visas

Immigration New Zealand has information about how to apply for a student visa(external link).

If the length of the course you are planning to study is designed to last for longer than 3 months, you must apply for a student visa, regardless of how long you plan to study in New Zealand.

Scholarships and funding

For information about scholarships and funding in New Zealand visit the Think New (Study with NZ)(external link) website and the website of the German Embassy in Wellington(external link).

Can I work during the academic year?

You may be granted a ‘Variation of Conditions’ to your Student Permit to allow you to work for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year and during any holidays within the academic year (an offer of employment is not required).

For more ‘student’ information and to download application forms and guides, please visit Immigration New Zealand(external link) or Think New (Study with NZ)(external link).


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.