Find out how Brexit affects New Zealanders living, working and travelling in the United Kingdom (UK) and European Union (EU).

New Zealanders travelling or living in the UK or EU

Travelling to and between the UK and the EU

The New Zealand Government currently advises all New Zealanders not to travel overseas at this time due to the outbreak of COVID-19, associated health risks and widespread travel restrictions.

If you choose to travel despite this advice, individual destination pages remain an essential of source of information on specific risks and contact information in that destination.

Despite the advisory, your ability to travel should not be impacted by Brexit.

New Zealanders who are travelling or living overseas should always have a comprehensive travel insurance policy in place. Check with your travel insurance provider to make sure that your travel insurance policy will not be affected by Brexit. 

Before you travel, check if there have been any changes to, for example, your right to medical care in Europe, driver licence requirements within Europe and whether your licence will be sufficient, and your mobile phone bill and roaming charges in Europe.  

For more information, see:

Living and working in the UK

The UK’s exit from the EU should not affect the visa arrangements New Zealand has with the UK. The Youth Mobility Scheme visa will still be available to New Zealand citizens.

If you are a New Zealander who is entitled to reside in the UK due to your or your spouse or partner’s European passport, you should refer to guidance from the UK Government (external link)

If you have specific visa enquiries, or you are concerned about an application for a visa to the UK being delayed, you should refer to the UK authorities (external link)

The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade cannot provide definitive advice on the UK’s requirements for entry to or exit from the UK. For this reason, we recommend that travellers consult in advance with their travel agent, airline or with the relevant UK authorities directly.

Advice relating to the EU

For further specific advice relating to issues such as travel, residency, education and employment in the EU, see the European Commission’s Preparedness Notices (external link).