Embassy services for New Zealanders

Assistance for New Zealanders overseas

If you’re a New Zealand citizen, staff at New Zealand embassies can help you in several ways if you get into difficulties overseas – see https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/our-services(external link)

Consular staff at Embassies can:

  • provide advice re lost or stolen passports(external link) if you need to travel urgently
    help you contact family or friends to request emergency funds(external link)
  • provide a list of English-speaking lawyers, and contact family and friends on your behalf, if you are detained or arrested(external link)
  • provide advice on local medical facilities, help contact your family and or insurance provider if you are ill or injured(external link)
  • help with arrangements following a death overseas
  • in certain circumstances, provide notarial services such as witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law
  • account for New Zealanders who may have been affected by a major overseas crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters.

For more information please visit www.safetravel.govt.nz(external link) and https://www.facebook.com/SafeTravel.govt.nz(external link)

Notarial services

In certain circumstances, staff at this Embassy are able to witness affidavits, affirmations, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law. The witnessing must take place at the New Zealand Embassy.

Please call the Embassy Consular staff in advance to book an appointment and to enquire about these and other services such as the ones listed below, including applicable fees. All fees must be paid in cash. We do not accept payment by Credit Card.

Certifying documents

Certifying documents as true copies of the original (eg. birth or marriage certificates).

Issuing consular letters

Issuing consular letters, issuing consular certificates, taking affidavits, affirmations or statutory declarations (document prepared by solicitor or applicant).

Witnessing signatures

Witnessing signatures on documents (eg. wills, power of attorney, land transfer deeds).

Verifying foreign documents

Verifying local foreign ministry signature/seal on foreign documents for use in New Zealand

Verifying Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade documents

Verifying Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade signature/seal on documents for use overseas which have been forwarded by the Ministry's Consular Division, or direct by the client, for passing to a foreign mission.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.