SafeTravel is the official source of travel advice for New Zealanders, with advisories for specific destinations. Checking SafeTravel helps you avoid travel blackspots.
On SafeTravel you can also register your details and travel plans. If a crisis occurs overseas, MFAT will contact New Zealanders who have enrolled to check on their safety and well-being.
We also recommend you take out travel insurance. If you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel.
While you are overseas, make sure you respect cultural norms and obey local laws.
SafeTravel(external link) is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade website designed for New Zealanders who are travelling or living overseas. You will find:
- traveller’s checklist(external link) to help you plan your journey
- news features(external link)
- travel advisories(external link) for specific destinations, with up-to-date information on security risks
- registration facility(external link) where you can log your travel plans in case you need to be contacted in an emergency
- when things go wrong(external link) - information that may assist you.
For information on the national threat level in the USA, please refer to the Department of Homeland(external link) website.
United States of America: Changes to entry requirements
We encourage all New Zealanders who require advice on entry into the United States to contact the United States Embassy or Consulate in New Zealand(external link). The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade is unable to advise on the entry requirements of other countries.
Check the current situation in the United States(external link).