Assistance for New Zealanders overseas
If you are a New Zealand citizen, staff at New Zealand Embassies can help you in several ways if you get into difficulties overseas. See Safetravel for further details.
Consular staff at Embassies can:
- help you contact the nearest NZ Passports Office(external link) if you have a lost or stolen passport(external link) and need to travel urgently
- help you contact family or friends to request emergency funds(external link)
- provide a list of English-speaking lawyers, and contact family and friends on your behalf, if you are detained or arrested(external link)
- help contact your family and or insurance provider if you are ill or injured(external link), and provide information on local medical facilities
- help with arrangements following a death overseas(external link)
- in certain circumstances, provide notarial services such as witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law
- account for New Zealanders who may have been affected by a major overseas crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters.
For more information please visit www.safetravel.govt.nz(external link) and https://www.facebook.com/SafeTravel.govt.nz(external link)
In certain circumstances, staff at this Embassy are able to certify copies, witness affidavits, affirmations, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law. Some notarial services must take place at the New Zealand Embassy. Please refer to How to obtain New Zealand documents for further information, including applicable fees.