Irish information

If you are a New Zealander in Ireland these websites should offer the answers to most frequently asked questions.

Citizens information link)

This government funded website is designed to give frontline information on all Irish public services. It has links to all the major government departments and public services. The Citizens Information Board's advice on drving in Ireland on a New Zealand drivers licence. Please note there is no reciprocal agreement between Ireland and New Zealand on exchanging driving licences.

Irish Department of Foreign Affairs link)

If you are a New Zealander considering living and working in Ireland this website has vital information on it about the visa requirements for doing so.

Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service link)

This Department is responsible for immigration, citizenship and visas within Ireland. The website gives comprehensive information about entering and remaining in Ireland.

Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment link)

This Department deals with Irish work permits and workers rights while they are in Ireland.

Garda National Immigration Bureau  (GNIB) link)

All non-nationals who are not Citizens of a member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland must register with them and have a registration certificate (GNIB Card).

TNT Magazine link)

TNT Magazine provides an excellent resource of information on getting started in Ireland, including visa information, banking, finding employment and accommodation. On their website go to 'Home' then 'Read TNT Guides' and enter your details to access the travel guide to Ireland.

Department of Welfare and Family Affairs link)

This useful website carries details about the reciprocal Social Welfare Agreement between Ireland and New Zealand.

Department of Health

Department of Health(external link)

The website contains information on entitlements and access to health services. Please note there is no reciprocal agreement between Ireland and New Zealand for visitor access to public health services. New Zealanders are therefore stongly advised to take out health insurance.

For more information about reciprocal health agreements for New Zealanders overseas please refer to the New Zealand Ministry of Health's website(external link).

Irish Tax and Customs link)

Irish Tax and Customs handle all taxation matters and should be contacted by referring to the website.

Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS) link)

The Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS) is a free nationwide service offering support and assistance to tourists who are victimised while visiting Ireland.

Free Legal Advice Centres (FLAC) link)

Free Legal Advice Centres (FLAC) is an independent human rights organisation dedicated to the realisation of equal access to justice for all and it campaigns through advocacy, strategic litigation and authoritative analysis for the eradication of social and economic exclusion.

For further advice, guidance or to get in touch with other New Zealanders living or working in Ireland please see the website of the New Zealand Ireland Association(external link).


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.