Living in Ireland

These pages provide information for New Zealanders living or travelling in Ireland.

Health insurance

Please note there is no reciprocal agreement between Ireland and New Zealand for visitor access to public health services, so all New Zealanders are strongly advised to take out medical insurance.

Drivers licences

New Zealanders may drive on their New Zealand driver licence for a period of up to one year after which time they must apply for and obtain an Irish driver licence. However on taking up ‘normal residence’ in Ireland you must either exchange your driving licence or apply for a driving licence in Ireland. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

If you wish to exchange your driver licence for an equivalent Irish driver licence, you must do so within one year of your driving licence expiring.

Under the Road Traffic (Recognition of Foreign Driver Licences - New Zealand and Taiwan) Order 2010 (SI 402/2010) New Zealand was added to the list of recognised states but with certain qualifications. Motorcycle & Car are the only categories recognised for exchange between Ireland & New Zealand.

In order to exchange your licence you must return the following documentation to your local Motor Taxation Office:

  • D900 (Exchange of licence)
  • D401 (Driving Licence)
  • Return foreign Licence 
  • 2 passport size photographs (signed on back) 
  • Fee (3 year = €15 or 10 year = €25) 
  • D502(Eyesight Report if not resident in EU)

For further information on Irish driving regulations, contact the Road Safety Authority in Ireland:

Road Safety Authority
 Driver Licensing
 Moyvalley Business Park
 Primrose Hill
 Ballina, Co. Mayo
 Tel: 1890 41 61 41
Website: link)  

Getting married in Ireland

Ireland has exactly the same requirements for foreign nationals getting married in Ireland as it does for Irish nationals.

A certificate of no impediment to marry is NOT required in Ireland, but you must submit your marriage application to the relevant registrar at least three months in advance. This can be done by post from outside Ireland.

Please note that for civil ceremonies there are sometimes long waiting periods which can exceed six months in some areas. You are advised to contact the registrar to make your appointment as far as possible in advance.

New Zealand Ireland Association

The New Zealand Ireland Association holds events and get-togethers throughout the year for New Zealanders in Ireland and Irish citizens who have an interest in New Zealand.

New Zealand Ireland Association
 C/O Maija Tweeddale
 9 Belair Village
 Co. Wicklow
 Website: link)

insert here.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.