On this page
The New Zealand Customs Service(external link) protects New Zealand's borders. Its job is to make sure that all goods and people entering and exiting New Zealand do so according to New Zealand laws and regulations.
The New Zealand Customs Service website provides information on:
- Travel to and from NZ(external link) – information for travellers planning to visit, or return home, to NZ.
- Arriving in New Zealand(external link) – information about the incoming Passenger Arrival Card and items you must declare.
- Prohibited and restricted items(external link) – items you can't bring into NZ, or which require approval to import.
- Duty free shopping allowances(external link) – information about the duty and GST you may need to pay on items you bring into NZ.
- Moving to NZ permanently(external link) – information about bringing your household contents, vehicles, pets and animals to NZ.
- Importing goods (personal)(external link) – information about the duty and GST that may apply to items you import into NZ.
- Importing goods (business)(external link) – information about import documentation, clearance and requirements.
Biosecurity at the border
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)(external link) looks after New Zealand's biosecurity system. Their work includes: facilitating international trade, protecting the health of New Zealanders and ensuring the welfare of our environment, flora and fauna, marine life and Maori resources.
MPI's Biosecurity NZ website(external link) provides information on:
- What you must declare(external link) – including information about filling in your Passenger Arrival Card.
- Bringing your pet to New Zealand(external link) – what you need to do when importing or exporting pets.
- Bringing goods into New Zealand(external link) – the biosecurity requirements that must be met before your goods are cleared to enter NZ.
Importation of prescription medication
Information about the importation of medicines can be found on the New Zealand Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority (Medsafe) website(external link).