The United Kingdom has joined the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) at a signature ceremony during the 7th Commission Meeting in Auckland Tāmaki Makaurau, New Zealand.
CPTPP is the world’s premier open plurilateral free trade agreement, with high standards and broad membership. CPTPP is critical to driving prosperity and setting the trade rules across the region.
The United Kingdom and CPTPP members signed the Protocol for the Accession of the UK to CPTPP at the 7th Commission Meeting hosted by New Zealand on July 16th 2023. This makes the United Kingdom the first new economy to join since the agreement was signed in 2018.
The United Kingdom is a G7 member and the world’s sixth largest economy. Its accession shows the appeal of CPTPP. The inclusion of the United Kingdom into CPTPP provides another pathway for New Zealand exporters and business people to access the UK market, providing useful additional flexibility and more options for diversification.
Given CPTPP’s importance, New Zealand has always supported its expansion through accession by those economies willing to meet the Agreement’s high standards. Accessions increase the value of the Agreement to New Zealand, advance New Zealand’s goal of strengthening rules-based trade in the Indo-Pacific, and demonstrate the ongoing importance of CPTPP as a critical piece of regional trade architecture.
The Protocol will enter into force after the UK and all the CPTPP Parties have ratified it, or after 15 months if the UK and a majority of CPTPP Parties have ratified it.
New Zealand Interest Material
- Decision Accession of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the CPTPP (English) [PDF 634 KB]
- Decision Accession of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the CPTPP (Español) [PDF 460 KB]
- Decision Accession of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the CPTPP (Français) [PDF 457 KB]
- Accession Protocol of the United Kingdom to the CPTPP [PDF 1 MB]
- Annex 2-D Tariff Schedule of the United Kingdom General Notes [PDF 141 KB]
- Tariff Schedule of the United Kingdom [PDF 32 MB]
- Appendix A Tariff Rate Quotas of the United Kingdom [PDF 354 KB]
- Annex 12-A The United Kingdom's Schedule of Commitments for Temporary Entry for Business Persons [PDF 451 KB]
- Annex 15-A Schedule of the United Kingdom [PDF 722 KB]
- Annex I Schedule of the United Kingdom [PDF 599 KB]
- Annex II Schedule of the United Kingdom [PDF 818 KB]
- Annex III Schedule of the United Kingdom [PDF 293 KB]
- ISDS Side Letter NZ to UK [PDF 1.4 MB]
- ISDS Side Letter UK to NZ [PDF 2.7 MB]
- Grace Period Side Letter UK to NZ [PDF 3.4 MB]
- Grace Period Side Letter NZ to UK [PDF 3.1 MB]