How to export military and dual use goods

New Zealand issues four types of permits/consents to export strategic goods.

On this page

Which permit do I need?

New Zealand issues four types of permits/consents to export strategic goods: 

  • single
  • single temporary
  • multiple permits
  • general consent. 

If you’re unsure which permit you need, or wish to discuss whether a general consent would be appropriate, contact us.

Contact the Export Controls Office

Single permit

Single export permits are issued for the permanent export of a fixed quantity of specified items in a single shipment.

The permit is valid for a three-month window from the intended date of export.

Single temporary permit

Temporary export permits are issued for a fixed quantity of specified items temporarily leaving New Zealand with the intention of return to the owner e.g. for a trade exhibition.

Generally, the export item will be in the care of the owner (sales representative, firearm owner etc), although items may be exported temporarily to a third party e.g. for the purposes of trial or repair by a third party.

The permit is valid for a three-month window from the intended date of export.

A condition of a temporary permit is that MFAT Export Controls is notified when the goods have been returned to New Zealand.

Multiple permit

Multiple export permits are issued for the export of a fixed quantity of controlled items that will be exported in several shipments over an extended period up to 18 months in duration.

Exporters may be required, as a condition of their permit, to provide information to MFAT on the amounts of goods exported under the multiple permit, according to a set six-monthly reporting timetable.

General consents

An exporter may apply for a general consent to export specific listed items to a country or countries. They are usually approved for exporters with a business case that justifies the use of a general consent i.e. a sufficient volume of goods.

For Wassenaar member countries, this gives approval to the exporter to export any volume of the specified products to any end-user in the approved countries over a period of up to 24 months.

Normally General consents are only granted for Wassenaar member countries, but applications will be considered for non-Wassenaar countries. In these cases, each end user must be specified.

Wassenaar member countries(external link)

Every six months exporters must provide information to MFAT on the types and amount of goods exported, and the end-users who have received items under the General consent.

In certain cases MFAT may waive the reporting requirement and instead require that records be kept

The refusal to grant a general consent for a particular country does not indicate that MFAT will not allow exports of a particular item to that country; only that we need to examine each application individually. The exporter can still apply for a single or multiple export permit to a specific end-user.

How do I apply?

Check you have the correct application form for your export.

Some exemptions exist for certain items

Applying for a single permit, temporary permit or multiple permit

Use the forms below to apply for the permit that you want to use. You will need the latest version of Adobe Reader PDF viewer to open the forms. Once opened, click Enable All Features in Adobe Reader PDF viewer to see the complete form.

Applying for a general consent

Use the general consent form when applying for exports of any volume of specific listed items to listed destination countries.

Download Adobe Reader PDF viewer(external link)

Send the completed PDF file as an attachment to the Export Controls Office, also attaching your supporting documentation.

Do I need any other documents?

You may be required to provide supporting documentation depending on the goods being exported:

  • end-user certificates for New Zealand manufactured military list goods 
  • end-user certificates for New Zealand manufactured dual-use goods
  • foreign government approval for the re-export of their controlled goods or technology if this is a foreign end-user certificate requirement
  • evidence of import authority for firearms being exported to Pacific countries
  • exported chemicals need an end-user certificate, although MFAT may be willing to waive this requirement where the chemicals are being exported to a distributor, or to a branch of the same company.

New Zealand end-user certificates

Goods that are manufactured in New Zealand will in most cases require an end-user certificate signed by the ultimate end-user.

MFAT may be willing to waive this requirement when the goods are:

  • components to be incorporated into a larger piece of equipment in the destination country
  • sporting/hunting weapons, or
  • being re-exported specifically for on-sale through a distributor

If you are unsure, contact the Export Controls Office 

How your application is assessed

Applications to export controlled goods are considered on a case-by-case basis.  

Find out how your application will be assessed

How long will it take and does it cost?

MFAT is conscious that exporters and importers require quick and clear decisions. You can help MFAT to provide a fast response to your application by ensuring that all the required information is supplied and that it’s accurate.

Standard permits and general consents — 10 working days

MFAT aims to process routine applications for Standard permits and general consents within 10 working days.

Non-routine applications — up to six weeks 

Non-routine applications (applications where the destination country is potentially problematic) may take up to six weeks or longer. Early contact with MFAT is advised.

No charge for a permit

There is no charge for a permit.

Amendment and renewal 

You can request to amend a current permit. Email the request to us and attach a copy of the permit that you want to be amended.

Where a permit has expired it must be renewed by submitting a new application.

Email the Export Controls Office

Using your permits 

A copy of your export permit should be presented to the New Zealand Customs Service or provided to the freight forwarder when the Customs export entry for the goods is lodged. In addition, each permit has a permit number which must be entered into the permit information field on the Customs export entry.

Record keeping

As noted above, for General consents, where exporters are not required to provide six-monthly reports, then they must keep records for each shipment as follows:

  • the name and address of the end-user
  • the name and address of the intermediate consignee, if there is one
  • the date of shipment of the goods
  • the number and description of items exported

Import certification, end-user re-export requirements, and transit through other countries

Import certification

The import of foreign technology is often subject to written assurances, usually in the form of end-user certificates, which state that goods will not be transferred, re-exported, sold or otherwise disposed of without the permission of the foreign government. Obtaining such approval from the foreign government is often a lengthy process.

New Zealand government recognition of the import may also be required to be entered on the foreign end-user certificate. The Export Controls Office will undertake this certification for you.

For assistance contact the Export Controls Office 

Re-export of controlled goods – third country clearances

New Zealand is obliged to not permit the re-export of foreign goods and technology that are subject to foreign end-user transfer controls, unless:

  • the end-user certificate states the destination is permitted for re-export, or
  • the written approval of the country of origin has been obtained.

International Import Certificates

In addition to end-user certificates, some foreign governments also require the New Zealand importer to obtain an International Import Certificate (IIC).

Post a completed copy of the completed IIC form and a self-addressed return envelope to the Export Controls Office who will undertake the certificate validation for you.

Contact the Export Controls Office

Internal New Zealand transfers

Many end-user certificates require the permission of the originating country for the internal transfer of their goods and technology within New Zealand. Such internal transfers are not a function or responsibility of the Export Controls Office.

It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that they have the necessary permissions from the country of origin and that the new owner has the transfer documentation. The new owner should have a modified or new end-user certificate. 

Failure to comply with foreign internal transfer requirements could affect obtaining country of origin approval to re-export items, and consequently New Zealand re-export approval.

Transit and transhipment of exports through intermediate countries

Like New Zealand, many countries also control the transit or transhipment of controlled goods through their territory.

A New Zealand export permit will not guarantee the passage of goods through another country. An export permit could, therefore, be required from the intermediate country through which the transit or transhipment is taking place.

Often these take longer to approve than they do in New Zealand. Exporters need to be aware of this, and plan their delivery schedules accordingly.

Questions about export permits and application procedures should be directed to the export controls agencies in the intermediate country.

Special considerations

Should you apply for a permit for any of the goods and technologies described in this section, the Export Controls Office will liaise with you concerning any additional requirements you or the New Zealand government will be required to fulfil to enable their transfer.

Sensitive and very sensitive dual-use goods

Some dual-use goods are considered to be more sensitive than others and therefore great care must be exercised in the transfer of these goods. There is a ‘sensitive list’ and a 'very sensitive list' of such goods. Both of these lists can be found at the end of Part 2 of the New Zealand Strategic Goods List. General consents are usually not available for the export of goods on these lists.

Nuclear-related goods

The export of nuclear-related goods must take place under appropriate international safeguards.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.