Travelling in the region

Driving in Mexico, Central America, Cuba and Venezuela

It is strongly recommended that you obtain an International Driving Permit to drive in Mexico, Central America, Cuba and Venezuela.

An International Driving Permit is an internationally recognised document which is a translation of your current Driver Licence. It is not a Driver Licence in its own right, so you'll also need to carry your current New Zealand Driver Licence when you travel.

International Driving Permits are valid for a maximum of one year from the date of issue.

To obtain an International Driving Permit you need to submit an application in the country where your licence was issued. In New Zealand, International Driving Permits are issued by the Automobile Association(external link).

If you are overseas you can apply for an International Driving Permit by mail or on-line. Different fees apply for each. For further information, please refer to the Automobile Association(external link) website.

Eligibility for medical services

New Zealand does not have reciprocal health agreements with Mexico, Central America, Cuba or Venezuela. Therefore, New Zealand citizens have no rights to access the public health system in these countries.

New Zealanders travelling overseas are strongly advised to take out private health insurance to cover the cost of medical treatment.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.