Find out what New Zealanders can do and the help they can receive when enroling in primary, secondary, and tertiary education in Australia.

Primary and secondary school

New Zealanders can enrol their children in state-run primary and secondary school free of charge (fees apply for private schools). But remember that secondary school qualifications are different from New Zealand, and can also be different in each Australian state.

Find more information on the Australian school system(external link).

We also suggest you visit the state government education website for the area you live in.


To study at Australian universities or polytechnics, New Zealanders are charged domestic student fees rather than international student fees. Unless you have chosen to become a dual national and have Australian citizenship, you may not be able to get a student loan or allowance, as special rules around residency may apply.

Non-protected Special Category visa (SCV) holders that have lived in Australia for at least 10 years without a break since 27 February 2001 may be able to get a Youth Allowance(external link), for up to 6 months, but this can only happen once.

Find out:


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.