Financial hardship

New Zealanders overseas have no right or claim to financial help from the New Zealand Government.

Who may be able to help

Family and charities

Staff at the New Zealand High Commission Canberra or consulates in Australia can contact your family and friends on your behalf to ask for help if you give us permission to do so.

We can also give you information about local charities that may help you.

Contact the New Zealand High Commission Canberra and consulates in Australia.

Superannuation company

If you have paid into superannuation during your time in Australia, you can contact your superannuation company to ask if you can access some of that money as a hardship payment.


You may be able to get some social security payments from the Australian Government.

For more information, contact Centrelink International Services(external link).


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.