Overview of consular help

The New Zealand High Commission in Canberra and consulates in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth can provide help in certain situations to New Zealanders living or travelling in Australia.

On this page

Help if things go wrong

If things go wrong for New Zealand citizens in Australia, consular staff at the New Zealand High Commission Canberra and consulates in Australia may be able to give advice on local procedures and organisations - with the aim of helping you to help yourself.

But there are limits to this support. For example, our staff cannot give legal advice, get you moved or released from prison or immigration detention, or help you financially.

Consular assistance is available via phone 24 hours a day, however if you would like to come and see us in person, an appointment is required to enable us to ensure the appropriate person is available to meet with you.

Where you can find us

Consular help is non-judgemental and completely confidential. It's available at:

Find more information on our consular services available to New Zealanders overseas(external link).

Follow the New Zealand High Commission Canberra on:

Dual nationals

If you are a dual national of Australia and New Zealand, your Australian citizenship will come first because you are in Australia. This means we will direct you to the Australian authorities for help.

Our advice

Register on Safetravel

You can register your details on the Safetravel website(external link) to make sure you can be contacted in an emergency, even if you intend to live in Australia long term.

The information you register with Safetravel is completely confidential. It's only used to advise you of an emergency, such as an approaching tropical cyclone, major civil unrest, or to check on your wellbeing if there has been a terrorist attack.

Take out insurance

You should take out travel insurance for all travel, and medical insurance if you intend to move to Australia long term – at least until you are able to enrol in Medicare, Australia's publicly-funded healthcare system.

Become an Australian permanent resident or citizen

Australian permanent residency or Australian citizenship(external link) greatly reduces the risk of having to ask for help from the New Zealand High Commission Canberra and consulates in Australia.

For example, New Zealanders with Australian permanent residency or citizenship in financial hardship could get more Australian social support, e.g. Centrelink services.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.