Missing persons

Finding missing persons overseas is mainly a police matter. But there are other things you can do to help.

On this page

Contact the Police

If you have concerns about a New Zealander missing in Australia, you should first contact your local police.

Try contacting the person

You should also try every possible way to contact the person, such as social media, email, phone, or contacting mutual friends.

Contact us

If you have done all of this and still have reason to be concerned for the person’s safety and welfare, staff at our New Zealand High Commission Canberra and consulates in Australia may be able to help by communicating with the Australian authorities.

Contact the New Zealand High Commission Canberra or consulates in Australia.

Missing persons have a right to privacy

If a missing person is found, we may not be able to pass on any information if they do not want us to. It would be up to that person to make contact with the enquirer if they wanted to.

Situations where we cannot help

Staff at our New Zealand High Commission Canberra and consulates in Australia cannot help in finding someone for maintenance support, debt collection, or genealogical projects.

We also generally cannot help if the missing person is not a New Zealand citizen or has been out of contact for a very short time.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.