Living in The Netherlands

On this page

Eligibility for medical services

New Zealand does not have reciprocal health agreements with the Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, or Norway. Therefore, New Zealand citizens have no rights to access the public health system in these countries.

New Zealanders travelling overseas are strongly advised to take out private health insurance to cover the cost of medical treatment.

Marrying in The Netherlands

Anyone wanting to marry in the Netherlands is advised to check with the local town hall (Gemeentehuis) as to what documentation is required. Contact details for Gemeentehuis are in the telephone book.

Usually an authenticated Birth Certificate and a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage are needed and authenticated documents confirming the dissolution of any previous marriage.

For information about obtaining a copy of your New Zealand Birth Certificate please refer to the section 'Obtaining a NZ Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Union Certificate' on the right hand navigation bar. This section also provides information on getting the Birth Certificate authenticated.

The Department of Internal Affairs can issue a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.

The Department of Internal Affairs website(external link) provides comprehensive information about how you apply for this Certificate, the applicable fees and how long it will take. You are also able to download the required BDM 189 form from this website.

For papers relating to a divorce in New Zealand, please contact your solicitor or the Family Court in which the divorce was completed.  Visit the Ministry of Justice website for more information about Family Justice(external link).

Driving in The Nertherlands

You may drive on a valid New Zealand Driver Licence for up to 185 days after you arrive in the Netherlands.

If you intend to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 185 days, you must obtain a Dutch Driver Licence before the 185 days has expired.

For further information, including how to obtain a Dutch Driver Licence, see the RDW website(external link).

Clubs and organisations for New Zealanders

KIN (Kiwis in the Netherlands)

KIN aims to build an active New Zealand community in the Netherlands, and create opportunities for its members to build relationships with each other and maintain strong links to New Zealand.

 Website: link)
 Facebook: link)

Australia and New Zealand Club

The club organises monthly social events for New Zealanders and Australians in the Netherlands . It’s aim is to help network Australians and New Zealanders and their families who find themselves working and living away from home.

Contact: Darren Moroney (President)
 Telephone: 06 4632 1479
 Website: link)

Amsterdam's English Breakfast Radio also has a 'Down Under' flavour to its show on Thursday and Friday mornings. Listen at 99.4fm or 104.6cable or online at link)

If you would like your organisation to be added to this list, please email the Embassy.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.