On this page
Embassies and consular services for Pakistan
|High Commission for Pakistan|
Our relationship with Pakistan
New Zealand has a longstanding relationship with Pakistan based around our shared membership in the Commonwealth and other international fora. New Zealand was part of the Commonwealth Heads of Government decision to re-admit Pakistan after civilian rule resumed in 2008. We also engage with Pakistan in the United Nations and World Trade Organisation.
There is an active Pakistani community in New Zealand. Ashraf Choudhary became the first Pakistan-born MP to serve in the New Zealand Parliament when he took office in 2002, and New Zealand and Pakistan enjoy strong sporting ties through cricket.
|Total trade in goods||$127 million|
|Exports to Pakistan||$56 million||Top exports: Steel, wood pulp, aircraft and dairy products|
|Imports from Pakistan||$71 million||Top imports: Textiles, clothing, cereals, cotton|
|GDP per capita||US $1,543|
Trade between Pakistan and New Zealand is modest but has exhibited moderate growth over the past decade. Agriculture, food products and education have been identified as areas for future growth.
We provide assistance on a case by case basis in response to disasters and humanitarian needs. Since 2011, New Zealand has provided approximately $12.8 million to the United Nations and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) working in Pakistan.
In 2019, the New Zealand Embassy in Tehran provided a donation to Aga Khan Cultural Service – Pakistan, a responsible tourism and climate change adaptation project in Gilgit-Baltistan and Chitral.
In 2018 and 2019, the New Zealand Embassy in Tehran granted donations to the Citizens Foundation to support science lab equipment in schools.
New Zealand is represented in Pakistan by the New Zealand Embassy Tehran, Iran.
Pakistan is represented in New Zealand by the High Commission for Pakistan, Wellington
Recent official visits
New Zealand to Pakistan
- 2017: MFAT Senior Officials visited Islamabad for Foreign Ministry talks and Joint Trade and Economic Consultations
- 2014: Minister of Foreign Affairs Hon Murray McCully visited Islamabad
- 2013: Sir Douglas Kidd, Chairperson of the Commonwealth Observer Mission, visited Pakistan to monitor 11 May 2013 elections
- 2007: Former Governor General of New Zealand, Lieutenant General Jerry Mateparae, visited Pakistan in June 2007 in his capacity as Chief of New Zealand Defence Forces
- 2007: Minister for Trade, Disarmament and Defence Phil Goff visited Pakistan to attend Cairns Group Ministerial Meeting in Lahore
- 2004: Minister of Foreign Affairs Hon Phil Goff visited Pakistan
Pakistan to New Zealand
- 2015: Mr. Ahsan Iqbal, Minister of Planning, Development and Reform visited New Zealand
- 2012: Commerce Secretary Zafar Mahmood led the Pakistan delegation at the inaugural Pakistan-New Zealand Joint Trade Commission
- 2005: President Musharraf visited New Zealand
- 2005: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Kasuri visited New Zealand
Travel to Pakistan
Get advice about travel to Pakistan(external link) on the Safe Travel website