On this page
We provide guidance on statistical analyses about New Zealand’s merchandise trade, services trade and investment flows. We can also help with preparing concise briefings on the New Zealand economy and global economic issues. And we work with Statistics New Zealand on trade data.
MFAT Working Papers
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Working Papers are a new series of research papers that explore different aspects of New Zealand’s international trade, investment and other forms of engagement. They will introduce and provide background to research findings by MFAT staff.
We hope the series will encourage and inform public discussion of relevant research areas, and contribute to the development of policy advice. The papers themselves do not constitute policy advice, nor do they necessarily reflect the views of MFAT or the Government.
To receive future MFAT Working Papers, please email DM-ECO@mfat.govt.nz
- Productive Sustainable and Inclusive Trade Channels Framework [PDF 895 KB]
- Understanding the linkages between trade and productivity sustainability and inclusiveness [PDF 1 MB]
- MFAT Working Paper: Estimating employment in New Zealand producing goods and services for export [PDF 138 KB]
- MFAT Working Paper: Estimating New Zealand's tradable and non tradable sectors using Input Output Tables [PDF 181 KB]
Trade and Economic Research
- STORM Analysis Regional Summaries Auckland 28 September 2020 [PDF 1.1 MB]
- STORM Analysis Regional Summaries Bay of Plenty 28 September 2020 [PDF 1.1 MB]
- STORM Analysis Regional Summaries Canterbury 28 September 2020 [PDF 1.1 MB]
- STORM Analysis Regional Summaries Hawkes Bay 28 September 2020 [PDF 1.1 MB]
- STORM Analysis Regional Summaries Northland 28 September 2020 [PDF 1 MB]
- STORM Analysis Regional Summaries Otago 28 September 2020 [PDF 1 MB]
- The Trade Policy Uncertainty Index (July 2020) [PDF, 439 KB]
Covering an index commissioned in partnership with the Reserve Bank of New Zealand to measure and examine trade policy uncertainty and its effects on business decisions
- Industry Exposure to Trade - The Trade Opportunities and Risk Model [PDF, 1.9 MB] Report on the new model comissioned by MFAT to better understand various industries' reliance on trade from an export/import perspective
- Distributional aspects of New Zealand's tradable and non-tradable sectors [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Report on the composition of New Zealand's tradable and non-tradable sectors in terms of gender, ethnicity, region and business size (July 2018)
- The Servicification of Trade(external link)
Analysis on the importance of services in New Zealand's trade (December 2016)
- Summary of the 2015 Business Operations Survey [PDF, 305 KB]
Summary of the international engagement module of Statistics New Zealand's 2015 Business Operations survey (February 2016)
- NZ's Trading Relationship with Australia at a State Level [PDF, 1.4 MB]
A comprehensive report on New Zealand's trade with Australian States (February 2016)
- The China-ASEAN dynamic [PDF, 576 KB]
Analysis on the impact of China's economic rebalancing on ASEAN and the impact on New Zealand's trade into the region (February 2016)
- Global Growth in Trade Relative to GDP [PDF, 442 KB]
Analysis on the slowdown in global trade growth (August 2015)
- Characteristics of New Zealand's Commercial Services Exporters [PDF, 999 KB]
An update on previous research examining the characteristics of New Zealand's commercial services exporters using Statistics New Zealand's 2011 ITSS Census. (July 2014)
Latest trade statistics
Stats NZ compiles and publishes New Zealand’s goods and services trade statistics.
- Goods only trade data is available on a monthly basis in the Overseas Merchandise Trade releases(external link).
- Goods and services trade data is published quarterly in the International Trade release(external link).
- Stats NZ have a helpful dashboard for accessing trade statistics(external link).