Aid activity reporting
Our aid expenditure information is available in line with the International Aid Transparency Initiative standards, which aims to make worldwide aid spending easier to understand, compare and use.
New Zealand is a member of the IATI, which was launched in 2008 at the High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness in Accra, Ghana. It is a voluntary, multi-stakeholder initiative that brings together donor countries, developing country governments, non-government organisations, and experts in aid information. It aims to increase the accessibility and availability of information about worldwide aid expenditure.
IATI has a common standard that sets guidelines for publishing and sharing information about aid spending. This makes information easier to understand, compare, and use. It also makes it easier to monitor what aid is being used for and what it is achieving in developing countries.
As part of the standard, New Zealand and all other donors’ IATI data:
- includes information on the total aid being provided to each country, the costs and aims of individual activities, and projected aid expenditure
- uses the same format and definitions.
The data below covers all aid activities since 1 July 2012, and includes planned and actual expenditure up until 30 June 2022.
The standard format for publishing IATI data is xml. From this format users can convert the data into tables, spreadsheets, web applications, printed documents and other visual representations. We recognise publishing data in xml format is only beneficial for machine readers. We plan to develop tools and interactive graphical representations of our transparency data. In the meantime you can use the following links to view our latest data using the IATI Previewer and in CSV format.
IATI Previewer (external link) — the preview function allows you to view the data in the way it was published, without analysing or changing the raw data.
CSV conversion tool (external link) — you can convert raw data to a CSV file
For any questions or comments please email PDG.Reporting@mfat.govt.nz
These files contain data relating to all NZ Aid funded activities as at 10th December 2020 that:
- were in the design, implementation, closing or closed stage.
- had financial values greater than zero between the period 01 Jul 2012 and 30 June 2022.
- did not meet MFAT’s exclusion criteria (these are activities with specific concerns relating to security/safety, privacy, sensitive/confidential information, or harm to operations).
The following decisions or exceptions have been applied to the data in this release:
- For activities with no implementation date, the first financial transaction date is used.
- 540 closed activities have a closed date which is the date the activity was migrated into the new aid management system. In these instances, the last financial transaction date has been provided as a more reliable proxy.
- Narration of financial transactions for actual expenditure has standard text of "expenditure incurred in financial year" whereas committed financial transactions state "expenditure committed in financial year". This is a temporary measure while privacy concerns are resolved.
- The Primary ID has been updated with the current Aid Management System ID. The previously released Primary ID has been moved to the "Other ID" field for reference.
A more comprehensive file outlining the IATI metadata can be found here [PDF, 641 KB].