On this page
Safe travel for New Zealanders
Log on to SafeTravel before you take off
SafeTravel is the official source of travel advice for New Zealanders, with advisories for specific destinations. Checking SafeTravel helps you avoid travel blackspots.
On SafeTravel you can also register your details and travel plans. If a crisis occurs overseas, MFAT will contact New Zealanders who have registered to check their safety and wellbeing.
We also recommend you take out travel insurance. If you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel.
While you are overseas, make sure you respect cultural norms and obey local laws.
SafeTravel(external link) is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade website designed for New Zealanders who are travelling or living overseas.
- quick checklist and tips(external link) for travellers to help you plan your journey
- news features(external link)
- travel advisories(external link) for specific destinations, with up-to-date information on security risks
- registration(external link) for New Zealanders travelling or living overseas - log your travel plans in case you need to be contacted in an emergency
- when things go wrong(external link) information that may assist you.
SafeTravel travel advisories for countries accredited to the New Zealand Embassy in Beijing and their regions: