On this page
Help for New Zealanders overseas
SafeTravel > Our services(external link) details the services staff at New Zealand embassies and consulates can provide to New Zealand citizens in difficulties overseas.
Consular staff at embassies and consulates can help New Zealanders about:
- lost, stolen, and damaged passports(external link) if you need to travel urgently
- financial difficulties(external link) by helping you contact family and friends to request emergency funds
- arrest and detention(external link) by providing a list of English-speaking lawyers, and contacting family and friends on your behalf
- illness and injury(external link) by providing advice on local medical facilities, and help contacting your family and insurance provider
- a death overseas(external link) by helping with arrangements.
Consular staff can:
- provide notarial services (in certain circumstances) such as witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations, and other documents for use under New Zealand law
- account for New Zealanders who may have been affected by major overseas crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters.
In certain circumstances, staff at this embassy and these consulates-general are able to witness affidavits, affirmations, statutory declarations, and other documents for use under New Zealand law.
The witnessing must take place at the embassy or consulate-general.
Notarial services are also available at our consulates in Shanghai and Guangzhou.
Notarial appointments in Beijing
We provide notarial services by appointment only, on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, from 2pm to 3.30pm.
To make an appointment, telephone us during our usual opening hours, 8.30am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm, on +86 10 8532 7000.
|Certifying a document that is a true copy of the original||RMB 200|
|Certifying an additional copy of the same original document||RMB 100|
|Preparing a consular letter||RMB 400|
|Taking an affidavit, affirmation, or statutory declaration, prepared by the applicant or their solicitor||RMB 400|
|Witnessing a signature on a document||RMB 400|
|Verifying a local foreign ministry signature or seal on a foreign document for use in New Zealand||RMB 400|
|Verifying an MFAT signature or seal on a document for use overseas, that has been forwarded by the consular division or directly from the client||RMB 600|
Notarial services in Hong Kong
The consulate-general in Hong Kong does not provide legal and notarial services for powers of attorney.
Call +852 2525 5044 for fee information and to make an appointment for legal services.